This year’s MoCCA Art Fest was held at Metropolitan West, on West 48th St, all the way over on 12th Avenue, even further west and more inconvenient than last year’s venue. I guess next year’s’ll be in a barge, mid-Hudson.
Here’s my shoulder-cracking haul:
- New Contruction by Sam Alden.
- A Stray in the Woods by Alison Wilgus.
- Beef With Tomato by Dean Haspiel.
- SVA’s 2014 comics school anthology. (Not sure why I didn’t already have this, since they give ’em out free every year, but the cover was distinctive and didn’t look familiar.)
- Fantastic Life by Kevin Mutch.
- Uptight #5 by Jordan Crane. The eye-catching cover made me pick it up and flip through it, the interior art made me buy it, and not till I got home did I notice it was by an artist whose work I already know and like. I expect I’ll want to hunt down the earlier four issues.
- Valor, a gorgeous anthology book edited by Isabelle Melançon and Megan Lavey-Heaton, who are also among the many contributors. I sprang for the hardcover.
- Snackies by Nick Sumida.
Floppies & Minis
- Ink, Winter 2015 issue, another SVA comics school anthology.
- Lacunae & Aftermath by Evan Dahm.
- Welcome to Chinatown by Feifei Ruan.
- Welcome to Showside #1, by Ian McGinty and others.
- Hard Luck #1 and Sundrenchers #1, both by Wyeth Yates.
- The High School of Art & Design’s class of 2016 Cartooning Anthology. This one cost money, because I guess an NYC public high school doesn’t have the budget of a private college.
- Love Bite by E Jackson.
- Carver: A Paris Story #1 by Chris Hunt.
- Frontier #11 (“BDSM”) by Eleanor Davis.
- The Age of Elves #1 by Colin Lidston.
- Forward Looking Statement #2 by Jess Johnson.
- 4 Stories About Girls & Magic and Queens of the Steppe, both by Molly Ostertag.
- A pair of Winsor & Newton pigment markers, Neutral Grey 6 and Violet Blue Deep! They were giving out free samples, and when I said I’d like either a blue or a dark gray, I got one of each!